Friday, November 28, 2008

Hide the Pickle

This might come as a shock, but I was perusing a catalog of Catholic holiday decorations and came across the strangest "Catholic" tradition I believe I've ever seen. It's a game called "Hide the Pickle"

From the magazine:
A pickle is used as decoration on the Christmas tree seems odd at first, but it is an old German tradition. When decorating the Christmas tree, it is traditional to hang the pickle last, hidden among the branches. The first child on Christmas Day to find the Christmas pickle receives a special blessing for the year and an extra gift! Great tradition to share with your family this year and for years to come!


Now, I say this with as much love in my heart as possible for my Church; but,
given the black eye sex scandals have given the Church in recent years, is it really appropriate to be hawking a game called "Hide the Pickle?"

Anyway, this may help explain some of the larger Catholic families.

3 comments:

  1. Is it any surprise Catholics would have a "game" for children called Hide The Pickle? Does the winner get to be lead choir boy? I bet they have another game called "show me yours and i will show you mine", or "touch it, you little bastard".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey kid, come here, wanna see the pickle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I hid my pickle it came back with poop on it :)

    ReplyDelete